Important Dates to REMEMBER
Tuesday, September 8th:
First day of virtual learning for scholars.
Wednesday, September 30th:
Virtual Back to School Night
- 3 ring zipper Binder w/dividers OR separate binder for each subject (6)
- loose-leaf paper
- pocket dictionary
- pocket thesaurus
- thumb drive
- spiral/composition books (3-5)
- plastic water bottle
- sanitizing wipes
Dear Green Street Academy Family,
I am pleased to welcome you back to the 2020-21 school year! I would like to extend a special welcome to all of the new families joining Green Street Academy this year, as well as welcoming back all of our returning families. I am honored to be your principal.
As we plan for a beginning like no other, the Green Street Academy staff and administration is committed to ensuring that:
- every child, every day is finding a way to feel connected,
- every child, every day is being challenged by new learnings and experiences,
- and every child, every day knows they have a champion they can turn to.
With the onset of the pandemic and abrupt changes to instruction, staff and students were challenged to find a new normal for learning. This shift has connected us in new ways and required our champions to champion from afar. While many lessons were learned during our first foray into distance learning, there are three that resonated with me that I would like to share with you. First, I learned how much I appreciated the expertise and drive our staff brought to GSA every day. Second, I learned that despite the changes the global pandemic forced upon us, our students continued to demonstrate our core value of perseverance as they worked hard to continue their educational growth. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I gained an appreciation for the little things in life – giving a high five, a bear hug, an air hug or being able to laugh out loud with staff and students. What I MOST appreciate about GSA is how, even under the most trying of circumstances, we remained supportive of one another, and we never lost sight of the importance of student learning.
We are excited to serve you this year. We hope you will find that Green Street Academy is truly an institution dedicated to building strong relationships and developing scholars who are life-long learners.
To all of my fellow Chargers, let’s make it a great year! Please stay safe and healthy.
See you “virtually” very soon!
Charge it up!
Green Street Academy
What will distance learning look like?
With the sudden closure of schools in the spring, our focus was to remain connected with our scholars and provide a space for a continuation of learning. Our main goal was to provide social and emotional support for our scholars as they worked to make sense of both the global pandemic and civic unrest that occurred during this time. We have now had time to develop our tool kits, and we plan to offer every scholar the same rigorous school experience they would have if they walked through our front door.
- Our middle school scholars will be expected to begin their day at 9:00am and will virtually attend 5 classes daily, Monday through Friday. Teachers will provide office hours designed to provide scholars who need additional support, a space to receive one-on- one time with their teacher each afternoon.
- Our high school scholars will begin their day at 9:00am and are expected to attend all classes, virtually, on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. On Wednesday’s, scholars will have virtual assignments that are to be complete independently. Additionally, scholars will be scheduled for three intervention sessions that will begin at 11:00am and conclude at 2:45pm. Upon completion, all teachers will be available until 4:00pm to provide one-on-one support for scholars who are in need of additional instruction.
How can I access the instruction for my scholar?
What information do I need to log into google classroom?
Every scholar needs their pupil id number to log into google classrooms.
Where can I find the pupil id number?
The pupil id number can be found in parent portal. Still having trouble, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I contact my scholar’s teacher?
All teachers will have access to email communication. The email addresses can be found below in the roster section, as well as administrator contact information.
How long after an email should I expect to hear back from a teacher?
The expectation for staff communication is 24 to 48 hours. Please understand that virtual learning is new for some staff members.
How do I reach out for social-emotional support for my scholar?
The student support staff is available to ensure smooth transitions in this virtual world. The email addresses can be found below for your reference. In addition, the school social worker is also a resource for our families. Feel free to reach out, if you have questions.
My child has an individualized education plan (IEP). Who can I contact for questions?
Ms. Gersten is the lead administrator for all special education services. She can reached at email@example.com.
Do you have a question about grades, schedule, or attendance?
Set up your parent portal to get direct access to your child’s schedule, grades, and attendance. You will need your child’s student id number. This code is what students use to log into Google classrooms for instruction.
Celebrating Green Street Academy
Green Street Academy is an outstanding place for learning. We consistently rank as one of the most desired Charter Schools in Baltimore. In 2018, we were recognized as Charter School of the Year and in 2019 our school leadership team was honored to receive CollegeBound’s School Administration of the Year!
Our school community rallied together in the spring to overcome challenges, as a result of the global pandemic. The Green Street Academy family celebrated a number of major milestones during the 2019-2020 School year.
- For starters, we anticipate a 97% graduation rate for SY 19-20!
- Our Graduation Rate was 94% as officially reported by MSDE.
- 85% of our 8th grade class chose GSA as their number one choice for their high school experience.
- We retained 93.2% of our faculty and staff members.
- As of June 12th, we have had a total of $3,269,158.00 in scholarships offered to our 2020 graduates!
- Each year the Baltimore Ravens select 5 seniors from the greater Baltimore area to award a $20,000 renewable scholarship to further their education. In 2020 THREE of the five winners were GSA’s graduates!
- We lead the district in FAFSA Completion and beat the city, state and national average in this area.
We stand ready to serve and create new accomplishments and memories in the 2020- 21 school year.
Green Street Academy Roster
Administrative Support Team
|Executive Director||Dr. Crystal Lindseyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|HS Assistant Principal||Kimberlyn Pealemail@example.com|
|HS Dean||Zachary Collinsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|MS Assistant Principal||Brian Schanbacheremail@example.com|
|MS Dean||David Lewisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|IEP Team Associate||Nicole Dobbsemail@example.com|
|Main Office Manager||Elizabeth Taylorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|IEP Team Support||Stacy Jonesemail@example.com|
|Manager of Operations||Chaneice Weeks-Lucas||443-642-5447|
|Director of Internships &|
|Chief Technology Officer||Larry Bortzfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Director of Innovation Center||Harry Prestonemail@example.com|
|Academic Coach||Latoya Gaylefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Academic Coach||Hannah Scoutenemail@example.com|
Student Support Team
|Ebony Vaughan||Social Workerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Meagan S. Dunaway||SST Chairpersonemail@example.com|
|Mioni Wingo-King||College Bound Counselor||Mwingo-king@ collegeboundfoundation.com|
|Tia-Shon Kelley||Director of Internships & Student Enrichmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Abeer Said||Guidance Counseloremail@example.com|
|Eric Oberlechner||Farm Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tirrell Coates||HS Student Support Liaison||Tirrell05@gmail.com|
|Darrell Alt||HS Student Support Liaisonemail@example.com|
|Greg Butler||MS/HS Student Support Liaison||Butlerjr.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Denise Wilkes||BCPS Paraprofessional||Dwitherspoon@bcps.k12.md.us|
|Harry Preston||Director of Innovationemail@example.com|
Middle School Special Education Support
College and Career Readiness
|Jeff San Filippo||Englishfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Cole Bishop||CTE – Urban Agricultureemail@example.com|
|Veronica Hopkins||CTE - CNA/GNA Healthcarefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nick Pascual||CTE – CDMemail@example.com|